TRENDS Charitable Fund Grant Application Guidelines 2018
General Information, Instructions and FAQs
If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance. Below are the 2018 Guidelines for review, which will open in June of 2017. Please visit our Charities page for a list of those selected for our 2018 Charities.
TRENDS CHARITABLE FUND HISTORY
The Trends Charitable Fund (TCF) is a 501(c)(3) organization that was founded in 1995 to issue grants to Arizona 501(c)(3) organizations that meet the TCF mission to support programs in need that positively impact women, children and their families where TCF can make a significant difference. Funds have been granted for both operational and capital expenditures.
The TCF mission is carried out through the volunteer work of dedicated TCF Board Members, Trendsetters (women honored for their community leadership), and other community volunteers. Funds are raised through one major event in the fall. Grant selections are made public in November/December by majority decision of the TCF Board of Directors after careful review and discussion. Over the years, TCF has donated nearly $5,000,000.
TCF FUNDING PRIORITIES
TCF Mission Statement
It is the mission of the Trends Charitable Fund to support programs in need that positively impact women, children and their families where TCF can make a significant difference.
2018 TCF grants are restricted to programs serving women, children and families in Maricopa County, Arizona. Due to the current economic climate, TCF has determined that its focus will be placed on areas of greatest need, such as the health, well-being, food, education and shelter in our community. With that in mind, we strongly recommend that you read the TCF Applicant Requirements closely and consider the programs for which you will be seeking funding.
TCF APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS
- 2018 TCF grants will be limited to Maricopa County, Arizona.
- Chapter affiliates with a national or international organization are eligible; however funds’ usage will be restricted to 100% use in Maricopa County.
- Proof of IRS 501(c)(3) status will be requested by the TCF Board before funding is granted. Using a “second party” to establish 501(c)(3) approval is not permitted.
- One hundred percent of funding must be spent in Maricopa County, Arizona.
- Programs must directly benefit women, children and their families.
- Programs will be considered on a priority basis for programs that:
- Provide critical basic human needs, such as food and shelter, to indigent and working poor.
- Provide services other than basic human needs to vulnerable and disadvantaged populations, such as health, education, literacy and legal services.
- Other programs will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Requests for personal and/or individual use will not be accepted.
- TCF Grants will NOT be awarded for the following:
- Endowment funds
- Pivate foundations as defined in Section 509(a) of the Internal Revenue Service Code
- Capital campaigns
- Debt retirement or operational deficits
- TCF grant recipients prior to 2015 may reapply. Prior TCF grant recipients from 2015 and 2016 will not be eligible this funding cycle.
Payments will be made to TCF grant recipients beginning January 2018.
TCF will not fund organizations that have operating financial deficits for two years or more. If an organization’s financial statement indicates one year of deficit, a letter from the charity’s Board of Directors must accompany the grant explaining the rationale for the deficit and the plan to ensure that future funding is solid.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND PROCEDURES
Monday, June 5, 2017: The 2018 TCF Grant Application Guidelines and 2018 TCF Grant Application will be available by either e-mailing a request to email@example.com or downloading online at www.trendscharitablefund.org. If you encounter any difficulties with these document files, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Thursday, August 31, 2017: The TCF Grant Application postmark/mailing deadline is August 31, 2017. Applications must be postmarked on or before August 31, 2017 to be considered. It is expected that the application will not be received in the mail by TCF for a day or two later. Applications not postmarked by August 31, 2017 will not be considered and will not be mailed back. The applicant will be notified to pick up the application. If not picked up within 30 days, the application will be destroyed.
Announcement of Grant Recipients
The TCF Board of Directors will notify the grant recipients in November 2017.
Application Format and Required Supporting Materials
All applications must include five (5) typed hard copies. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
When the application is complete and all required supporting materials are compiled and five (5) hard copies are made, please MAIL, no later than Thursday, August 31, 2017 to:
Trends Charitable Fund Board
Attn: TCF Grant Chairman
4400 North Scottsdale Road, 9-928
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
GROUNDS FOR APPLICATION REJECTION
- Applications that do not follow TCF guidelines and requirements, and/or applications that include additional extraneous printed materials such as annual reports, marketing brochures, data, information, videos, audios, photos or other objects beyond what is required, will be rejected without consideration to content and will not be mailed back, but applicant will be notified. If not picked up within 30 days, the application will be destroyed.
- Each question must be typed in the appropriate space provided on the application. You may not retype the application. “See attached” is not an acceptable response and applications answering in this format will be returned.
- Applications will be rejected that do not have the required signature on Section 2, Page 3.
- Applications not postmarked by August 31, 2017 will not be mailed back, but applicant will be notified. If not picked up within 30 days, the application will be destroyed.
- Five (5) hard copies of the application with the requested supporting materials. Applications will not be accepted by e-mail.
ORAL PRESENTATIONS/SITE VISITS OF PENDING APPLICANTS
TCF does not permit verbal communications or site visits between TCF Board Members and applicants with pending applications. In November 2017, the TCF Board will narrow the applications down to a list of potential finalists. At this juncture, the TCF may request that a brief oral presentations be made by all potential finalists to the TCF Board.
TCF CONFLICT OF INTEREST POLICY
The TCF Bylaws prohibit grants that would directly or indirectly benefit Trends Corporation doing business as Trends Magazine and its staff, and/or the TCF Board Members. TCF Board Members who are also Board Members on any applicant board or board of trustees must disclose their involvement and request to be recused from voting on the approval or disapproval of grants for that particular applicant. TCF Board Members are prohibited from discussing applications with applicants and prospective applicants outside of the application meeting and communication processes discussed in these Guidelines.
If your organization is chosen as a recipient, TCF is not required to grant the exact amount requested. New and/or existing programs will be considered. In all cases, TCF will give weight to whether the applicant has adequate financial resources independent of the TCF grant to sustain the program, if needed.
ORGANIZATION ACCOUNTABLILITY TO TCF
TCF will request that the organization make a minimum of one report back to the TCF Board during the grant year regarding the status of the program prior to the issuance of the second installment. This includes but is not exclusive to a written updated and detailed program action plan and explanation of the use of the funds as it relates to the original grant application.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ’S)
1. How much money should our organization request?
Historically, TCF grants have been issued in amounts ranging from $5,000 to $200,000; the amounts vary from year to year depending on the amount raised by TCF fundraiser and number of charities chosen for disbursement. For the 2018 grant cycle, it is advisable that applicants apply for programs requiring a minimum of $25,000. TCF has provided funding in the past to organizations for line-item budget items even when the TCF has decided not to approve the entire amount requested. Therefore, it is important that applicants submit both general organizational line-item budgets as well as the line-item budget for the specific program for which they apply to allow for flexibility in the TCF decision-making process.
2. How many copies of the completed application should our organization send?
Five (5) typed hard copies with required supporting materials.
3. May our organization retype the application format or attach our answers to the form application?
No. Each question must be answered in the space provided in the application. “See attached” is not an acceptable response, and applications answering in this format will not be considered. If you encounter difficulties with the application file, please e-mail email@example.com for further assistance.
4. May our organization include extraneous printed materials in the application, such as annual reports, marketing brochures, data, information, videos, audios, photos or other objects beyond what is required?
No. Only the required materials and information will be accepted. Applications that include additional supportive information will not be considered.
5. May our organization make an oral presentation to the TCF Board?
TCF does not permit verbal or written communications between TCF Board Members and applicants about pending applications. If your organization is chosen as a potential finalist, the TCF Board, at its discretion, may initiate requests for brief oral presentations to the TCF Board.
6. Do applications need to reach the TCF grant application mailing address by Thursday, August 31, 2017?
No. Applications must be postmarked on or before August 31, 2017. Therefore, it is expected that the application will not be received in the mail by TCF for a day or two later.
7. Does our organization need to fill out Section 5 Part A, B, and E Financial Summaries, if we have included a financial statement and line item reports?
8. May our organization e-mail to make sure our applications have arrived?
Please allow 3 working days to pass after mailing your organization’s applications and to allow time for arrival. Your primary contact for the program may then e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and inquire if the applications have arrived. The TCF response will be your receipt that the applications have been received by the TCF Board.
9. When are funding decisions made?
Application reviews will be made in November. Grant recipients will be announced at the end of November.
10. If funded, when will our organization receive the funds?
Funds will be disbursed in two (2) equal installments. The first installment will be issued the January following the completion of the granting process. The second installment will be made in June. The second installment is contingent upon TCF receipt and approval of a written updated and detailed program action plan and explanation of the use of the funds as it relates to the original grant application.
11. What are the requirements of TCF if our Charity has been selected?
Volunteers are needed for the annual fundraiser in the Fall and we request Charities to assist with recruitment. Please encourage Directors and Board Members to attend the annual event titled, “Evening of Trends.”